Established in 1926, the Guild of Prescription Opticians (Guild) is governed by a code of ethics that requires its members to maintain the highest level of professional opticianry, thereby protecting the consumers’ interests; meet the high standards of the Guild to ensure that efficiency and service are always provided; furnish a source for eyecare products and services, independent of those prescribing for eye care needs; promote the conservation of human eyesight; supply only the finest quality optical products and services, representing the state of the art of opticianry; and participate in and encourage continuing education for eye care professionals.
Click Here for a Complete List of Guild Members
GUILD MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
Established in 1926 as the Guild of Prescription Opticians, the Opticians Association of America (OAA) is the only national organization representing opticianry's business, professional, educational, legislative and regulatory interests.
As a member of the association, OAA represents you. OAA is the voice of the opticianry industry and works as a promoter and communicator within and outside the industry while also protecting the reputation and perception of the industry in a local and global market.
A Guild Firm Membership is the most recognized and respected membership category offered by the Association. Any "Opticians Association of America" Firm Member, which is in sympathy with the purposes and objectives of the Association, which is committed to the promotion and protection of retail opticianry, and is in good standing with the Association, may apply for affiliation with the "Guild of Prescription Opticians of America". The "Guild Member" must meet ALL requirements as set forth by the governing body of the Guild, the Guild Council. These requirements must include, but are not limited to, the following:
(A) That the firm in a licensed state must operate under the licensure laws, and all opticians shall have a valid state license.
B) In a non-licensed state all firm member opticians shall be certified by the American Board of Opticianry, when actively engaged in the dispensing of eyewear and/or the National Contact Lens Examiners when actively engaged in the fitting of contact lenses. Certification must be maintained by meeting the continuing education requirements of either or both certifying Board(s).
(C) The firm shall agree that all dispensing opticians in its employ shall maintain current on all their credentials and continuing education requirements attesting to their optical dispensing competency.
(D) No optometrist or ophthalmologist may be the sole owner or only officer of a Guild Firm.
(E) Abide by the Guild Code of Ethics that requires its members to maintain the highest level of professional opticianry, thereby protecting the consumers’ interests; meet the high standards of the Guild to ensure that efficiency and service are always provided; furnish a source for eyecare products and services, independent of those prescribing for eye care needs; promote the conservation of human eyesight; supply only the finest quality optical products and services, representing the state of the art of opticianry; and participate in and encourage continuing education for eye care professionals.
Benefits of Membership: OAA provides our membership several avenues of assistance: promoting the industry as a whole; creating opportunities to assist you in making new industry contacts; strengthening your existing business relationships and keeping you abreast of current conditions and advances within the industry.
Networking & Marketing
- American Optician – a premier industry publication that is distributed twice annually to OAA members, industry leaders, and media professionals throughout North America. Through its relevant and insightful content, the American Optician keeps readers on the inside track about issues and events facing the opticianry industry.
- OAA’s Annual National Opticians Convention – truly a unique gathering of the opticianry community, the annual convention provides attendees time for direct, personal contact with industry leaders and exhibitors. Educational seminars, keynote speakers and peer networking opportunities are all part of the annual convention.
- OAA’s Annual State Leadership Conference - Leaders from a majority of the States and Canada attend educational seminars and topic specific breakout sessions that address subjects from growing membership numbers and legislative affairs to hosting meetings and communication synergy. The attendees immerse themselves in networking events that help build better synergy throughout North America.
- eBlasts – Throughout the year, OAA will send important updates to you via email to ensure that you are informed of industry related issues from legislation to the latest technology available to the industry.
- The Opticians Association of America represents you in many areas that you may be unaware. OAA has representatives on the ANSI Standards Board, American Board of Opticianry (ABO); Commission on Opticianry Accreditation (COA), Foundation for Eye Health Awareness, National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE); National Federation of Opticianry Schools (NFOS), the Opticianry Summit Foundation, the Sun Initiative Planning Team and The Vision Council.
OAA offers the training and resources you need, regardless of the level of your career or the size of your company.
- Spectacle and Contact Lens Online Education
- Online Store with Manuals, Test Reviews and Home-Study Courses
- Leadership Development Classes and Sessions
- Industry Specific Education Seminars and Management Classes
- OAA provides a strong voice for the opticianry industry on legislative issues impacting how our industry operates in your home state as well as nationally.
- OAA’s government relations program helps develop policy positions that the industry pursues to ensure laws and regulations are favorable to the interests of opticians.
- OAA provides education to lawmakers and policy makers on the benefits of the opticianry industry.
Improve Your Status as a Retail Optical Dispensing Firm:
The Guild’s standards mean quality. For nearly a century, our name has given opticians a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Your membership gives you instant credibility and name recognition and helps you gain a foothold within the industry that no other association can provide.
- As a Guild Member, your firm will be recognized as a firm who holds the highest level of membership a retail optical dispensing firm can obtain.
- As a Guild Member, you become a part of an elite group of retail firms who take great pride in their profession and the industry as a whole.
- You have access to our online membership directory, job listing postings and other support services to assist you in becoming a successful optician.
- You will receive a Guild Member Lapel Pin, a Guild Membership Window Sticker for your dispensary(s), a Guild Membership Certificate you can display in your office, so that consumers know that they are dealing with a highly professional and respected optical dispensary.
- Guild Member Logo Usage Privileges – use the Guild logo on your business cards, office literature, and any other products you wish to show you are serious about professionalism.
Improve Your Status as an Optician:
OAA’s standards mean quality. For nearly a century, our name has given opticians a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- You will receive a Firm Member Wall Certificate and will have the opportunity to have your dispensary web-linked from the OAA Website directly to your Store’s Website.
- You will receive an Honored Fellow Membership Window Decal and an Honored Fellow Membership Wall Certificate for your office and an Honored Fellow Lapel Pin, so that consumers know that they are dealing with a highly professional and respected optician.
- You will also receive an Individual Member Window Decal and an Individual Member Wall Certificate for your office, so that consumers know that they are dealing with both a Member of the Opticians Association of America and an Honored Fellow.
- OAA, OAA Honored Fellow, OAA Firm Membership, and Guild Logo Usage Privileges – use the OAA logos on your business cards, office literature, and any other products you want to show you are serious about professionalism. Use of the Guild designation (ex. Your Name, Guild Optician) to separate yourself from other practicing opticians.
- As a Guild Member, you are eligible to vote as a member of the Opticians Association of America at the annual business meeting of the Association (Delegate Assembly)
- As Guild Member, you are eligible to carry the Guild Frame Line which is available nowhere except through the Opticians Association of America.
Other Important Benefits:
- Access to the OAA Health Insurance Plan
- Office Depot Discount Card
- Access to OAA’s PartnerShip Program (featuring shipping Discounts from FedEx)
- Access to OAA’s Marketplace (Member Benefits and Special Offers from Corporate Partners)
- Online Education Discounted Member Rates
- Education Study Materials Discounted Member Rates
- MySocialReach Discounted Member Rates
- VisionWeb Royalty Program – Benefiting Your State Association
- Sprint Wireless Program
- First Data Credit Card Processing Systems Discount Program
- Liberty Mutual Auto & Home Insurance Program
- Mutual of Omaha’s Disability Insurance Program
- Allied Storage and Moving Program
- OAA State Leadership Conference Registration Member Rate
- Free Exhibit Hall Admission at International Vision Expo East and West
- Membership Packet