Core Membership Benefits
Core individual membership in the OAA is open to anyone who supports the mission of the OAA, whether a practicing optician or not. Core membership is available regardless of your country of residence.
The benefits of OAA membership are real and numerous. Here are just some of the benefits of membership at all levels:
- Membership in the only national association representing opticians
- First access to industry news and product updates
- Enrollment in regular national and regional updates via targeted news blasts
- Access to national and regional event schedules
- Early access to registration and applicable discounts for the annual OAA Leadership Conference
- Opportunities to go beyond local to national involvement within the industry
- "Individual Contractor Benefits Program" via My Financial Coach at exclusive OAA group rates
- Discount on Local Eye Site employment postings
- Discount on the ABO/NCLE Certification Review Book
- Discount on Continuing Education credits from Quantum Optical
- Access to Honored Fellow status, including voting and board position opportunities
In addition, your membership helps fund initiatives such as these:
- Legislative advice and assistance to states in need (which, in turn, protects the industry nationwide)
- National professional branding and marketing efforts (e.g., billboards, social videos, apparel, promotional items, etc.) aimed at educating consumers about opticians, what they do and why they are essential
- Support for local and national outreach to underserved populations via Vision of Hope
- Helping establish new state associations
- Spearheading diversity and inclusion efforts aimed at assuring an equitable profession
- Creating opportunities for opticianry students and apprentices, which keeps the field of opticianry alive and vibrant
- Support for the National Optician Initiative, which introduces new education opportunities nationally
- Assuring national representation for opticians, both inside and outside of the industry
Honored Fellow (HFOAA) Benefits
You are invited to become an Honored Fellow of the OAA if at least one of the following is true:
- You are a current member of an OAA-member state society.
- You are an individual member of the OAA who has passed either the ABO exam or the NCLE exam (or an approved equivalency exam).
In addition to enjoying all of the many benefits that come with standard OAA membership, Honored Fellows set themselves apart with regard to commitment, status and additional opportunities:
- HFOAA members are eligible to vote during the annual OAA Membership Meeting, influencing the direction of the organization and, by extension, the industry at large.
- Only HFOAA members are eligible to seek office on the OAA Board of Directors and the Vision of Hope Foundation’s Board of Directors.
- HFOAA members are eligible to apply for the exclusive OAA Member Credit Card for optical businesses, which includes many additional benefits including the opportunity to have your annual HFOAA membership dues waived.
- HFOAA members have exclusive permission to use the designation 'HFOAA' following your name (e.g.: 'John Smith, HFOAA').
- HFOAA members receive a certificate for public display, stating your credential as an Honored Fellow.
- HFOAA members receive an official store window decal indicating that an OAA Honored Fellow works in the dispensary or lab
Ready to take your membership to the next level? Complete the membership application here.
Guild (OGA) Benefits
Membership in the Opticians Guild of America (OGA) an elite group exclusive to owners or employees of independent optical shops.
To qualify, prospective members must have current ABO basic certification, have five years of industry experience (three years with an associates degree), be licensed in a licensed state, and hold NCLE certification for contact lens fitters.
OGA/Guild members receive all of the many benefits that come with standard OAA membership. OGA/Guild members also receive all benefits, privileges, titles and status exclusively assigned to HFOAA members.
In addition, OGA/Guild members are entitled to a further suite of exclusive benefits:
- Eligibility to vote during the annual OAA Membership Meeting, influencing the direction of the organization and, by extension, the industry at large
- Eligibility to seek office on the OAA Board of Directors and the Vision of Hope Foundation’s Board of Directors
- Eligibility to apply for the exclusive OAA Member Credit Card for optical businesses, which includes many additional benefits.
- Free quarterly forums dedicated to business best practices
- First looks and insider information regarding the newest product and services
- Support and facilitated business forums throughout the year
- Special edition newsletter exclusive to Guild members
- Preference regarding internal referrals to Guild businesses
- A certificate for public display, stating your credential as an OGA business.
- An official store window decal indicating that the business is owned/operated by an OGA member
Ready to start your Opticians Guild of America membership? Complete the membership application here.